4 Effective Ways to Fight the Tea Party
1. ADVOCATE TRUTHFULNESS: Don’t idly standby while others spout out talking points they don’t understand absorbed from too much time on Fox News or listening to conservative pundits who distort the truth such as Limbaugh, Beck or O’Reilly.
You can use Twitter, Facebook and other online portals to take-on Tea Party lies and mindless conservative rhetoric. You can challenge that loudmouth at Starbucks spouting out his or her illogical unsubstantiated opinion.
You will not convince die hard conservatives….. you can lead a horse to water…. but there might be some rational independent thinkers around or people who are unsure how to vote this year who might be swayed by an argument that actually contains facts.
2. DO NOT WATCH TELEVISION STATIONS THAT AIR SUPER PAC NONSENSE: Don’t just sit there dumbstruck by the lunacy filling your TV screen. Super PACs will be spending literally tens of millions, if not hundreds of millions, of dollars bombarding the airwaves, particularly on local stations in swing states.
It might be hard, or inconvenient, but you can reach for that remote control and change stations as soon as that conservative advertisement hits the screen. Many local stations have their own ratings systems – be sure to show them that you do not support such nonsense.
Follow-up by sending the station an email advising them of your displeasure and that of your family, friends and co-workers. Sure Super PACs are giving them money for air time today, but that is very short-lived – the local networks and stations need your continued patronage to survive long term.
3. BE SURE TO SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL ANTI-TEA PARTY CANDIDATES: One of the surest ways to beat these nit-wits (or Mitt-Wits as we like to say around here) is to insure they don’t get elected to office.
Put out a road sign supporting your local party favorite. Donate time or money to the candidate of your choice. Take a shift at a local call center, calling registered Democrats to remind them the importance of voting this November.
Go to the Credo Super PAC website to see if any of their list of the Tea Party Ten: Unfit to Serve and see if any of them are in your voting district.
4. BE AWARE OF COMPANIES SUPPORTING TEA PARTY AND OTHER RIGHT-WING GROUPS AND BOYCOTT THEM: You love your country right? Do not want to see the Tea Party take over, correct? Well get out there and identify companies supporting them and their efforts to undermine personal freedoms, women’s reproductive health access……
*** Be sure to check out our List of Companies Supporting Right-Wing and Tea Party Causes and Candidates to Boycott. ***
Rupert Murdoch’s News Corp is one of the worst offenders spouting out the Tea Party message pretty much 24/7. Turn ‘em off. This means any of the Fox News and Fox Network stations.
Avoid products produced by the Koch brothers who control such brands as:
- Georgia Pacific
Avoid magazines and other print publications supporting Tea Party rhetoric and campaigns such as:
- The Wall Street Journal (or Rupertlandia as we call it)
- The New York Post
- Harper Colins
Avoid the Molson-Coors family one of the worst offenders out there as part of every beer you purchase goes to the Castle Rock Foundation, their cash cow for a host of far right groups. That means no more:
- Killian’s Red
Avoid products by the DeVos Family home of