Want to make a difference, but don’t know how? Here are 6 simple things you can do today to help end gun violence.
The nation is spiraling out of control with 355 mass shootings so far this year, Senate Republicans almost unanimously blocking two Democratic sponsored bills last week that would have restricted easy access to firearms to suspected terrorists, certain convicted felons and the mentally ill.
Polling shows that the American people support common-sense gun legislation but powerful gun-rights organizations like the NRA are flooding Washington with political donations to the tune of millions upon millions of dollars.
In the wake of continued violence and political indifference, discouraged Americans are asking what they can do to make a difference.
With that in mind, here is a list of six very simple things you can do today to help end gun violence in our communities:
1. Contact your elected officials and tell them your thoughts regarding meaningful common sense gun legislation.
2. Register to vote. Nothing is more powerful than the power of voting, yet far too many people refuse to get out and vote. You can go here to learn how.
3. Challenge the NRA by joining The Coalition To Stop Gun Violence and other grassroots organizations combating the deep pockets of gun manufacturers and the gun lobby.
4. Educate yourself using resources like Organizing for Actions’ Gun Violence Prevention Plan.
5. Support the Brady Campaign To Prevent Gun Violence.
6. Write a letter to your local paper. “Make your voice heard in your own community and tell your neighbors that it’s time to expand background checks for gun sales now.”
For additional information, you can check out the following resources, courtesy of The Prevention Institute:
- HopeMatters.org is dedicated to helping build communities that don’t produce crime by sharing the policies, speeches, and writings of Jack Calhoun, a pioneer and leading consultant in the areas of family policy and youth violence prevention.
- Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence provides comprehensive legal expertise, including to states and communities, to prevent the loss of lives to guns.
- PreventViolence.org is an online archive of public education campaign materials created to reduce access to guns and prevent violence against youth.
- Violence Policy Center conducts research, investigation, analysis and advocacy to make America safer.
And here’s some other groups you might want to check out:
- Campaign to Unload (Facebook)
- Americans for Responsible Solutions
- Newtown Action Alliance (Facebook)