“They’re not pro-life. You know what they are, they’re anti-woman. Simple as it gets. Anti-woman. They don’t like them. They don’t like women.” ~George Carlin
In 1973 the Supreme Court decided a woman’s right to choose abortion was legal.
This means when a person decides to have an abortion:
- It’s legal.
- It’s none of your business.
- No matter the reason, it’s still none of your business.
- Your religious belief about abortion doesn’t trump the law.
- Your personal version of morality doesn’t trump the law.
- Your opinion doesn’t trump the law.
- Your inability to recognize that a fetus isn’t a fully formed human doesn’t change the law.
- Your inability to recognize that an embryo isn’t a fully formed human doesn’t change the law.
- If someone other than you has abortion, it doesn’t concern you and you have no legal say.
What’s funny (and by funny I mean maddening) is that even some high-profile anti-choicers are actually pro-choice – and they don’t even recognize their own blatant hypocrisy.
Here are two examples (emphasis mine):
Michele Bachmann once said: “What we want is women to be able to make their own choices […] We want women to make their own choices in healthcare. You see that’s the lie that happens under Obamacare. The President of the United States effectively becomes a health care dictator. Women don’t need anyone to tell them what to do on health care. We want women to have their own choices, their own money, that way they can make their own choices for the future of their own bodies.”
In a 2008 interview with Katie Couric, Sarah Palin said:
COURIC: Palin says she makes no apologies for her pro-life views and opposes abortion, even in the case of rape or incest.
PALIN: I’m saying that personally I would counsel that person to choose life, despite horrific, horrific circumstances that this person would find themselves in.
Here’s some friendly advice; If you’re opposed to abortion, don’t have one. Easy peasy.
Let’s recap: Abortion is legal and it’s none of your business, unless your opinion is requested. Also, many anti-choicers are really pro-choice and don’t realize it.
I’m looking forward to all the hate mail and angry comments.