I find it extremely ironic that Benghazi is still an every day talking point for the right and their favorite media outlets. I keep hearing over and over again that Hillary Clinton would’ve likely been our next president if she weren’t responsible for 4 deaths in Benghazi. Really?? So, an embassy attack that left 4 Americans dead is how we determine who can be our President? So, this is the rule that we go by, then?
That’s really quite interesting, and maybe Fox News could actually convince reasonable people of this…if only it weren’t for those pesky, irritating things, that we on the left like to call “FACTS.” You see, the real question is, why are they now so obsessed with this one embassy attack, when under Bush and Cheney there were actually 13 such attacks?
The Benghazi attack, as tragic as it was, really wasn’t the unusual event that the right keeps telling us it was. A quick look back into the not so distant past shows this clearly. I realize that Republicans are now trying to convince all of us that this was an unprecedented attack that can only result in the discrediting of Hillary. But, the “FACTS” say otherwise.
- On January 22, 2002: The U.S. Consulate in Calcutta, India was attacked. 5 people were killed.
- On June 14, 2002: The U.S. Consulate in Karachi, Pakistan was hit by an al-Qaida suicide bomber. This attack left 12 dead.
- On October 12, 2002: The U.S. diplomatic offices were bombed in Denpasar, Indonesia. (No one was killed at the Consulate, however 7 Americans were among the 202 deaths in the surrounding area.)
- On February 28, 2003: The U.S. Embassy in Islamabad, Pakistan was attacked leaving 2 dead.
- On May 12, 2003: A diplomatic compound known to be inhabited by Americans was attacked by al-Qaida in Riyadh, Saudi Arabia. This attack left a total of 36 people dead, 9 of them Americans.
- On July 30, 2004: The U.S. Embassy in Tashkent, Uzbekistan was attacked, leaving 2 people dead.
- On December 6, 2004: The U.S. Consulate in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia was attacked by al-Qaida. 12 people were killed.
- On March 2, 2006: The U.S. Consulate in Karachi, Pakistan was hit again by a suicide bomber. This time 4 people were killed, including the U.S. diplomat, David Foy.
- On September 12, 2006: The U.S. Embassy in Damascus, Syria was attacked, leaving 4 people dead.
- On January 12, 2007: The U.S. Embassy in Athens, Greece was attacked. (No one was killed in this attack.)
- On March 18,2008: The U.S. Embassy in Sana’a, Yemen was attacked. 10 were killed in this attack.
- On July 9, 2008: The U.S. Consulate in Istanbul, Turkey was attacked, leaving 6 dead.
- On September 17, 2008: The U.S. Embassy in Sana’a, Yemen was attacked again killing 16 people.
I have listed 13 attacks that all took place while Bush and Cheney were “keeping us safe.” In these 13 attacks, more than 100 people were killed. And I haven’t even added in all of the people who were killed in the Baghdad Embassy attacks during the Iraq War.
Here’s where the whole Benghazi-Gate argument dissolves into nothing more than sheer hypocrisy. The very same people who’ve been going insane, wanting Hillary’s head for the 4 deaths in Benghazi, ironically are also the ones who said nothing against Bush about more than 100 Embassy deaths on his watch.
Here are just a few examples:
In April of 2004, Bill O’Reilly said, “You don’t criticize the Commander-in-Chief in the middle of a firefight. That could be construed as putting U.S. forces in jeopardy and undermine morale.”
On March 19, 2006, Sean Hannity said, “He’s the Commander-in-Chief. And what I find frankly repugnant about you and some of your fellow Democrats- you have undermined our president.”
On December 7, 2005, Pat Robertson said, “And furthermore, one of the fundamental principles we have in America is that the president is the Commander-in-Chief of the armed forces and attempts to undermine the Commander-in-Chief during time of war amounts to treason.”
On November 23, 2005, Michelle Malkin said, “Can we do it without distorting their legacies and pandering to anti-American elites worldwide and using their deaths to embarrass and undermine our Commander-in-Chief?”
Funny, isn’t it, how these people only seem to care about this country when a Republican is in the White House? That leaves only one sensible conclusion in all of this: All of these fabricated scandals and accusations are motivated entirely by politics. Republicans did their best to spread countless conspiracy theories before the last election, hoping that it would be enough to keep Obama from winning his second term. When that didn’t work, they set their sights on Hillary.
This attack on Hillary is completely worthless. But as we’ve come to expect from the GOP, they will surely continue to repeat their wild accusations over and over, with absolutely no regard for FACTS, history, or reality.
Featured Image: By Hillary for Iowa – April 14, 2015 – Jones Street Java House in Le Claire, Iowa, CC BY 2.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=40857120