I get asked often why I support Hillary Clinton. There are many reasons actually. Here are 6 big ones…..
We are now facing quite possibly the most important Presidential election of our lifetimes. It is not only the Presidency and the next four years that are at stake here, but now with the Supreme Court in play, an entire generation or more will be affected by the outcome of this election.
For me this is an easy decision….especially when the alternative is Donald Trump….but I understand that for others it may not be quite as simple. Is Hillary an ideal candidate? No. Are there things about her that I wish I could change? Of course. But do I think she will still make a great President? Yes I do.
And here’s why….
Obama’s Third Term
President Obama doesn’t get the credit he deserves for turning this country around after George Bush nearly put us into ruins. He stopped the great recession and has us headed in the right direction. Hillary will continue in that same direction. Her policies and and governing style are very similar to his and many of her goals are to expand on Obama’s accomplishments like:
- Comprehensive immigration reform
- Legislative action on climate change
- fixing and expanding Obamacare
- gun control
- expanding and strengthening Dodd-Frank financial regulations
If you could handle President Obama for the past 8 years, then you will be just fine with a President Hillary Clinton. They are both calculating pragmatic progressives. And the transition should be seamless. And a President Hillary will ensure Obama’s legacy….as well as forge one of her own.
No one in our history has ever come to this office as ready on day one as Hillary will. She has served as Secretary of State, Senator of New York, First Lady of the United States, First Lady of Arkansas, a practicing lawyer, a law professor, and an activist over a very long and public career. Whether you like her or not, it’s very hard to compete with her resume.
And because Hillary has been in the public eye for so many years we have all seen her life play out before us. We’ve seen her accomplishments and her failures. We’ve also seen a Conservative movement attack her like no other. Yet somehow Hillary always remains standing. She is battle tested. There is nothing the Republicans can throw at her that hasn’t already been thrown. And Hillary has proven herself tough enough to handle anything.
That toughness will help her lead this country. I think one of the mistakes that Obama made early on in his Presidency was that he underestimated the hatred that the Republicans had for him. Those same Republicans will have an equal amount of hatred for Hillary…but she won’t make that same mistake.
People like to label her a “bitch.” Well, maybe in order to deal with some of the opposition right now, she will have to be a bitch….and she is just the woman to do the job.
Simply put…there is no one who can touch Hillary when it comes to foreign policy.
Her experience as Secretary as State was invaluable. She is more knowledgeable and respected on foreign affairs than anyone running. And trying to compare her with Trump is hardly more than a joke.
Henry Kissinger said, “She ran the State Department in the most effective way that I have ever seen.”
Her foreign policy will be much like Obama’s. She is probably a bit more hawkish than Obama, but to call her a hawk is unfair….especially when you compare her to any of the Republicans. And if you take issue with Obama’s foreign policy and that’s why you don’t like Hillary’s…just think for a moment what would happen if Donald Trump won the White House.
I don’t care how much you dislike Hillary, there is no comparison between her world views and a madman who wants to use nukes, arm other countries with nukes, and murder the wives and children of terrorists.
Hillary has spent her entire life fighting for women, girls, children, and families. She is fighting for an agenda that includes:
- Equal pay for women
- A woman’s right to choose
- Paid family leave and affordable child care
There’s a reason that Planned Parenthood made the unprecedented decision to endorse Hillary in January. Planned Parenthood President Cecile Richards said,
“No other candidate in our nation’s history has demonstrated such a strong commitment to women or such a clear record on behalf of women’s health and rights. This is about so much more than Planned Parenthood. Health care for an entire generation is at stake.”
- As Senator, Hillary Clinton introduced 8 pieces of legislation with the clear purpose of expanding and protecting women’s access to reproductive health care — more than any other presidential candidate.
- Hillary Clinton chaired the 1993 task force that created the first plan for health care reform and testified on it before Congress — an unprecedented move by a presidential spouse.
- Hillary Clinton helped launch the National Campaign to Prevent Teen and Unplanned Pregnancy. Teen birth rates are now at a 40-year low.
- Hillary Clinton introduced the Paycheck Fairness Act in 2005, 2007 and 2009. No other presidential candidate has introduced equal pay legislation.
- Hillary Clinton waged a multi-year effort with Sen. Patty Murray — and even blocked the nomination of an FDA head — to pass the law that made emergency contraception available over-the-counter.
- Hillary Clinton would build on the Affordable Care Act, which has helped nearly 8.2 million adult women gain health coverage. This has been especially important for women of color, who accounted for 53.2 percent of uninsured women before the law went into effect.
Hillary has a 3 part plan:
- Strengthen background checks and close dangerous loopholes
- Hold irresponsible dealers and manufacturers accountable
- Keep guns out of the hands of terrorists, domestic abusers, other violent criminals, and the severely mentally ill
Hillary has been one of the strongest voices for stricter gun control in this country and with 33,000 Americans being killed every single year, it has never been more important to have someone in the White House who makes this a priority. And again, when you compare her to Trump…well, there simply is no comparison.
- As first lady, she co-convened a White House Summit on School Violence after the Columbine tragedy. She also strongly defended the Brady Bill, which instituted federal background checks on some gun sales.
- As senator, she co-sponsored and voted for legislation to close the gun show loophole by requiring criminal background checks on all transactions taking place at events that sell firearms.
- She voted against the dangerous immunity protections Congress provided gun dealers and manufacturers that prevent victims of gun violence from holding negligent manufacturers and dealers accountable.
- She also co-sponsored and voted for legislation to extend and reinstate the assault weapons ban.
Listen….for me there are many many reasons to vote for Hillary. But if you really can’t seem to find one for yourself it comes down to one simple thing. Trump.
I don’t care how much you might dislike Hillary…or how many reasons you want to give me why NOT to vote for her. The bottom line is she is a million times better than a President Trump. She is not insane. She is not a racist, or a misogynist, or a homophobe, or a xenophobe, or a bigot. She’s not going to deport 11 million immigrants. She’s not going to start WWIII. She’s not going to nuke anyone or kill innocent women and children.
She’s not going to start trade wars or send us into a global recession or worse. She’s not going to make the financial markets panic. She’s not going to make our nation the laughing stock of the world. And she’s not going to make the Supreme Court into a neo-Con disaster that will affect us for generations.
No, she is not perfect. But she is a lot better than the alternative. And sometimes better is what you need for progress. Better is what keeps you moving forward. And that is what she will do. She will continue moving us in the direction we need to go. The alternative is simply not acceptable…and the course correction for a Trump Presidency would take a generation.