Hey, you! Yeah, you. Time to stop Donald Trump before he even gets started. Who else do you think is going to do it, if we don’t? All Hands On Deck!
Michael Moore may have predicted Donald Trump’s victory in the election, but he’s not giving in to acceptance of the man’s will. As a matter of fact, he’s calling for All Hands On Deck in a Facebook post while declaring that ‘all hope is not lost.’
All Hands On Deck means responding to a 5-point plan of action. Anyone who finds the reality of a Trump presidency mind-numbing can bring themselves out of their stupor by kicking into gear. The call doesn’t come from any false sense of optimism on Moore’s part, but from gloom about how bad it will be if we don’t get busy. Moore warns:
As bad as we know it’s going to be, it’s actually going to be worse.
And the movie maker’s not suggesting a long-range prescription that we need to mull over. When he says, action!, he means now. Starting here:
(1) MAKE YOUR PRESENCE KNOWN. This isn’t just about contacting your Senators and Congressmen, but actually showing up to impress upon them that you mean business when it comes to combating Trump’s agenda. Lawmakers are home for the holidays. Show up! At their offices, which you can find at this link: http://www.house.gov/representatives/find. If you can’t speak to them, insist on speaking to someone. Moore is specific about points to impress upon them:
Politely tell them you and everyone you know will work to unseat them in 2018 if they don’t act independently from Trump.
Tell them that millions of us will do what the Tea Party did to the Republicans: primary them and toss them out of office. Say it politely, thank them, then leave.
Follow that with the new American way — post your action on social media.
(2) WRITE TO THE DNC TONIGHT. Here’s their email address: http://my.democrats.org/page/s/contact-the-democrats. Tell them to elect Congressman Keith Ellison as their new chair. Why? Because, as Moore says, he’s a true progressive who recognizes the need for change that the American public is demanding. Ellison not only is a community organizer, but had the courage to back Bernie Sanders and the movement for a progressive revolution. At the same time, the Old Guard has failed in its mission. Moore is blunt about what they achieved:
TWICE in 16 years the Democratic candidate WON the vote for President but LOST the White House.
What more does anyone need to know to seek new leadership?
(3) FORM YOUR OWN RAPID RESPONSE TEAM. Pick 5-10 people you know to be your rapid response team. Do it this week. January is too late to organize. Name your team. Pledge to keep each other instantly informed, online, as soon as something emerges from Trump or Congress that demands opposition. Email or call officials, immediately. Post on social media. Go to protests — you and your team.
(4) MAKE PLANS NOW TO BE AT THE INAUGURATION WEEKEND PROTESTS! D.C. will be the place to be, peacefully disrupting the proceedings on Inauguration Day, January 20th, or for the Million Women March, January 21st. Here’s the website: https://www.womensmarch.com, and the Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/events/2169332969958991/.
H-u-u-g-e crowds are a must. But, for those who can’t make it to D.C., there will be protests all over the country. Find the one closest to you by checking the march’s main Facebook page.
(5) RUN FOR OFFICE. You can’t do that this week — BUT, you can start planning and organizing your race. Form your campaign committee. As Moore says:
Who else do you think is going to do it? I’m not saying you have to be the next Senator from Michigan, but why not run for State Rep. or school board or city council?
And share this. Or share Michael Moore’s post. Repeat his call: ALL HANDS ON DECK! There’s no time to lose.
Feature photo from Michael Moore on Facebook.