Michael Moore puts together a set of tools to enable patriotic Americans in government, law enforcement or the private sector with knowledge of crimes, breaches of public trust and misconduct committed by Trump to blow the whistle.
Documentary filmmaker and activist Michael Moore threw a huge wrench in the Trump administration Tuesday with the launch of Trumpileaks, a new web page on his official website offering a variety of different ways for whistleblowers to securely leak information to him about Trump and his administration.
Moore published an open-letter explaining his intentions in create the page on his official website and on Huffington Post, warning that time is of the essence, writing: “I need one of you to help me. It might get dangerous. It may get us in trouble. But we’re running out of time. We must act. It’s our patriotic duty.”
Continuing he writes that: “From the time you opened this letter to the time you get to the bottom of it, there’s a decent chance that our President will have violated the constitution, obstructed justice, lied to the American people, encouraged or supported acts of violence, or committed some horrible mistake that would’ve ended any other politician’s career (or sent you or I to jail). And just like all the times he’s done so in the past, he will get away with it.”
After providing some information regarding an old video that inspired him to create Trumpileaks, Moore discussed the importance of whistleblowers going back to the Revolutionary era in American history:
Indeed, the power and the importance of whistleblowing is part of the American tradition and as old as the republic itself. On July 30, 1778, the Continental Congress voted unanimously for the first whistleblower legislation in the U.S: “Resolved, That it is the duty of all persons in the service of the United States, as well as all other the inhabitants thereof, to give the earliest information to Congress or other proper authority of any misconduct, frauds or misdemeanors committed by any officers or persons in the service of these states, which may come to their knowledge.”
Since then, courageous American men and women have put their careers, their freedom and even their lives on the line to report government and corporate wrongdoing. From Karen Silkwood (nuclear safety), Sherron Watkins (Enron) and Jeffrey Wigand (tobacco) in corporate America to Daniel Ellsberg, Chelsea Manning and Edward Snowden revealing government lies, the American whistleblowing tradition remains strong, despite constant attempts to intimidate and stifle these truth tellers.
Addressing the creation of Trumpikleaks itself, Moore explains:
Today, I’m launching TrumpiLeaks, a site that will enable courageous whistleblowers to privately communicate with me and my team. Patriotic Americans in government, law enforcement or the private sector with knowledge of crimes, breaches of public trust and misconduct committed by Donald J. Trump and his associates are needed to blow the whistle in the name of protecting the United States of America from tyranny.
We’ve put together several tools you can use to securely send information and documents as well as photographs, video and/or audio recordings. While no form of digital communication is 100% secure, the tools we’re using at TrumpiLeaks provide the most secure technology possible to protect your anonymity (and if you don’t require anonymity, you can just email me here).
Going to the Trumpileaks page, Moore offers six different methods for whistleblowers to use for that private communication:
- SIGNAL: This is a free, end-to-end encrypted messaging app, which allows you to communicate directly with Michael Moore. You can send text messages, images and video. It also allows you to talk securely with a reporter by calling them via the Signal app. No metadata is retained by Signal. It can be downloaded from the app store. Signal can be configured to delete messages automatically at a designated time interval. Michael Moore’s Signal phone number: 929-451-7267
- PEERIO: This is a free, end-to-end encrypted messaging app, which allows you to communicate directly with Michael Moore. Peerio provides fully encrypted cloud storage for files. You can transfer files to Michael Moore as large as 400 megabytes.
Our Peerio user name: trumpileaks1
- WHATSAPP: This is a free messaging app with end-to-end encryption that also allows the transfer of documents, photos and videos. WhatsApp can be used to make secure phone calls. It is owned by Facebook. Some data is retained by WhatsApp.
Michael Moore’s WhatsApp phone number: 929-451-7267
- ENCRYPTED EMAIL: If you use PGP encryption, here is our fingerprint and link to our public key. If you use our public key with a mail encryption plugin, for example Mailvelope or Enigmail, this encrypts the contents of your message but not the subject line or the name of the sender. PGP Fingerprint: 5525 050A A708 FA72 5352 EA41 6392 A399 C50F CC42, Email: TrumpiLeaks@protonmail.com, MICHAEL MOORE’S PUBLIC KEY
- POSTAL MAIL: You can drop a letter or package in the mail to our team. To maintain anonymity, it is recommended that you use a mailbox rather than going into a post office.
Please send to:
P.O. Box 4800
New York, NY 10185
- EMAIL: If you’d like to easily submit a tip and are not as concerned about anonymity or privacy, email: email@example.com