The holidays are fast approaching, and we all have relatives who are staunch Trump supporters. Here is a survival list of facts to confront them with when they start mouthing off about how the Orange Scourge is making America great.
Back in June, Robert Reich posted a list compiled by his Facebook follower, Rosa Figueroa, on his page. The list details 11 facts to present to the Trump supporters who plague this country with their hardheaded refusal to accept reality. Reminding them of Trump’s many failings has yet to change their tiny minds and in truth, probably never will, but hope springs eternal.
I’ll list the bullet points Reich posted first, then add some updates of my own. These are incontrovertible truths to anyone with a functioning brain. (And therein lies the rub!)
“NEXT TIME YOU GET INTO A LITTLE SQUABBLE WITH A TRUMP VOTER, BRING THIS INTO THE CONVERSATION:
1. He called Hillary Clinton a crook. You bought it. Then he paid $25 million to settle a fraud lawsuit.
2. He said he’d release his tax returns, eventually. You bought it. He hasn’t, and says he never will.
3. He said he’d divest himself from his financial empire, to avoid any conflicts of interest. You bought it. He is still heavily involved in his businesses, manipulates the stock market on a daily basis, and has more conflicts of interest than can even be counted.
4. He said Clinton was in the pockets of Goldman Sachs, and would do whatever they said. You bought it. He then proceeded to put half a dozen Goldman Sachs executives in positions of power in his administration.
5. He said he’d surround himself with all the best and smartest people. You bought it. He nominated theocratic loon Mike Pence for Vice President. A white supremacist named Steve Bannon is his most trusted confidant. Dr. Ben Carson, the world’s greatest idiot savant brain surgeon, is in charge of HUD. Russian quisling Rex Tillerson is Secretary of State.”
6. He said he’d be his own man, beholden to no one. You bought it. He then appointed Betsy DeVos as Secretary of Education, whose only “qualifications” were the massive amounts of cash she donated to his campaign.
7. He said he would “drain the swamp” of Washington insiders. You bought it. He then admitted that was just a corny slogan he said to fire up the rubes during the rallies,and that he didn’t mean it.
8. He said he knew more about strategy and terrorism than the Generals did. You bought it. He promptly gave the green light to a disastrous raid in Yemen- even though all his Generals said it would be a terrible idea. This raid resulted in the deaths of a Navy SEAL, an 8-year old American girl, and numerous civilians. The actual target of the raid escaped, and no useful intel was gained.
9. He said Hillary Clinton couldn’t be counted on in times of crisis. You bought it. He didn’t even bother overseeing that raid in Yemen; and instead spent the time hate-tweeting the New York Times, and sleeping.
10. He called CNN, the Washington Post and the New York Times “fake news” and said they were his enemy. You bought it. He now gets all his information from Breitbart, Gateway Pundit, and InfoWars.
11. He called Barack Obama “the vacationer-in-Chief” and accused him of playing more rounds of golf than Tiger Woods. He promised to never be the kind of president who took cushy vacations on the taxpayer’s dime, not when there was so much important work to be done. You bought it. He took his first vacation after 11 days in office. On the taxpayer’s dime. And went golfing.
And now for the updates (please forgive me for leaving things out – it’s hard to keep track):
12. He has repeatedly denied any collusion with Russia, even in the face of admissions of contact by those in his close sphere. You bought it. His former National Security Advisor, Gen. Michael Flynn, his former campaign manager Paul Manafort, one of his former foreign policy advisors George Papadopoulos, his son-in-law Jared Kushner, his son Donald Trump Jr., his Attorney General Jeff Sessions, his former advisor Carter Page (and who knows how many more?) have all had contact with Russian operatives during the campaign and some after Trump was inaugurated.
13. He has gone to great pains to tell us how smart is he is. You bought it. Then he said he had a meeting with the President of the Virgin Islands. Donald Trump is the president of the Virgin Islands because they are a U.S. possession, a detail that seems to have completely escaped him.
14. He said he loves the people of Puerto Rico. You bought it. But he blamed the American citizens of that island for not dealing with the natural disaster that decimated their home, even though they had no water, no fuel and no communication ability. He then threatened to withdraw aid after three weeks because “FEMA can’t stay forever.” And we must not forget the throwing of paper towels at residents begging for help. Nor must we forget that FEMA stayed in Louisiana after Katrina for five years.
15. He said that there were “good people on both sides” of the attack in Charlottesville. You bought it. Those “good people” were carrying swastikas and chanting, “Jews will not replace us.”
16. He promised health insurance for all at cheaper rates. You bought it. Then he backed a plan that would throw over 30 million people off the rolls. He then called that plan “mean” and went on to back a couple of failed plans that were slightly less “mean” but still tossed over 20 million of the rolls. When all of that failed, he cut the advertising budget and the enrollment period for the Affordable Care Act, then issued an executive order stripping the subsidies that so many Americans depend on to be able to afford health insurance, thereby creating uncertainty in the marketplace and pushing premiums higher.
17. He promised to make “great deals” and get this country back on track. You bought it. With the exception of the Russia sanctions, which he didn’t want to sign but had no choice in the face of overwhelming congressional support, he has not had one single piece of substantive legislation passed.
18. He promised to bring back coal jobs. You bought it. But in his 2018 budget proposal, he sought to cut $340 million from the Appalachian Regional Commission (ARC) and the U.S. Economic Development Administration.
19. He promised to address the opioid epidemic. You bought it. So far, aside from issuing an executive order declaring the opioid crisis a national emergency, he has done nothing except to adopt a Nancy Reagan policy of Just Say No. He blames immigrants (he referred to them as criminals, but we all know who he meant), Mexico and China for the opioid crisis and lumps them in with the real perpetrators: the pharmaceutical companies and physicians who over-prescribe opioid pain medication.
20. He promised to disentangle the U.S. from foreign involvements. You bought it. But he has sent more troops into Afghanistan and we recently found out that we have troops in Niger and who knows where else.
21. He says he supports our troops. You bought it. But he derided the Khan family, who lost their son in Iraq and suggested that Mrs. Kahn was kept silent by her husband because, you know, they’re Muslim. More recently, he called the wife of fallen Army Sgt. La David Johnson a liar when she recounted her upsetting phone conversation with Trump.
22. He said he could shoot someone in the middle of 5th Avenue and he wouldn’t lose a vote. That’s about the only true statement he’s uttered, and it is a sad statement on a segment of the American population that I fear is true.
Ann Werner is the author of thrillers and other things. Show her some love and check out her books!
Visit her at Ann Werner on the Web