John McCain suffers one of the most embarrassing days in the history of Twitter.
Americans are angry; and no one knows that better than Republican Senator John McCain of Arizona, after suffering one of the most humbling experiences in the history of Twitter.
Monday afternoon (04 December 2017) McCain reached out to Twitterverse asking for 74 more followers so he could reach the “big milestone” of having reaching 3 million total fans.
“We’re only 74 Twitter followers away from 3M – spread the word & help us reach this big milestone!” the excited Republican tweeted.
We're only 74 Twitter followers away from 3M – spread the word & help us reach this big milestone!
— John McCain (@SenJohnMcCain) December 4, 2017
Lo and behold, Twitter was quick to respond, but not in the way McCain had hoped. At the time of publication of this article, McCain has now dropped to 2,978,646 followers for a net loss of 21,280 followers. In the time it took us to write this article (less than an hour), he lost 669 followers. So the humiliation continues.
And then there was the indignity of all the responses to his tweet.
Frederick Douglas, a favorite of ours responded: “John, earn your followers the normal way, by tweeting meaningful things. Begging for followers doesn’t feel like regular order. Oh yeah, you don’t give a shit about regular order. Silly me. Carry on.”
John, earn your followers the normal way, by tweeting meaningful things.
Begging for followers doesn't feel like regular order.
Oh yeah, you don't give a shit about regular order.
Silly me. Carry on.
— Frederick Douglass (@gettinnoticedmo) December 4, 2017
Several of the responses expressed concern over the GOP tax
plan scam that narrowly passed the Senate along partisan lines late last week.
“People are unfollowing Sen. John McCain (R-AZ) on Twitter to make their distaste for the recently passed tax reform bill known. The bill was passed on Saturday and has multiple pitfalls, as identified by The New York Times. These include a tax cut for the rich, more taxes for graduate students, raised taxes for millions of middle-class families, and permission for oil and gas drilling in an Alaskan wildlife refuge, among many other nightmare scenarios disguised as economic stimulus measures.”
Democratic Coalition Chair Jon Cooper tweeted: “So, after helping pass the horrible #GOPTaxScam bill and voting to take away healthcare from millions of Americans, @SenJohnMcCain’s top priority now is to reach 3M Twitter followers. If you’re following this selfish hypocrite, today would be a great day to #UnfollowMcCain!”
- Very disappointed with you. You abandoned the middle class to support lobbyists and the rich.
- Thought you had more sense than to vote for that tax scam. Shame on you. I also UNFOLLOW
- Who cares about 13 Million people who will lose their insurance or the 1.5 Trillion in give away to the rich. I want 3M followers ! Thats what counts !! American Hero.
Some other noteworthy responses included:
- What happen in those 5 years as a POW in Soviet backed Vietnam, John? You’re now backing comrade Trump’s agenda and betraying the people of this nation. This is a very curious 180 indeed.
- Dear Sir, plz permit other cancer patients on Medicare the right to receive life saving drugs within their insurance plans.
- I just on liked you because of your vote on the tax bill. Here’s an idea everyone: let’s let John McCain‘s Twitter follower count slide like the sandhill he’s placed the middle class on through his tax vote. UNLIKE AND RT.
- Unfollowed. When you tell the people you work for to go F themselves, rob them for the very richest, tell corporations they won’t be taxed on their offshore earnings, we get it. You hate hard working Americans, except to send them off to your wars. It’s over.
- Ya, your twitter numbers are more important than health care for people not so fortunate to be able to afford it like you and your family. You used to be a war hero, WTF happened to you? #shameonyou If ppl are smart, they’d DITCH your f*cking twitter account.