Actress Nicole Eggert says her Charles in Charge co-star, Scott Baio, sexually assaulted her and she’s filed a police report with the LAPD, alleging the assault took place when she was 14 and he was 20, according to TMZ.
In late January, Eggert tweeted:
— Nicole Eggert (@NicoleEggert) January 27, 2018
Soon after her tweet, Baio made an awkward Facebook Live video where he sat behind a desk covered in stacks of papers that were supposedly proof of his innocence.
Within days, Eggert appeared on Megyn Kelly Today and said,
He immediately took to me, and befriended me, and earned my trust. And then he started expressing his love for me and talking about marriage in the future. And then — I was still 14 — before my 15th birthday, we were at his house, in his car, in his garage, and he reached over and he penetrated me with his finger. And that is when the sexual touching and abuse started.
Eggert alleges the abuse continued until she was 16 and says that when she was 17, they had sex for the first time. The actress also says that Baio told her not to tell anyone or else she would be out of a job and “ruin everyone’s life.”
Baio continued to deny the abuse allegations in an interview with Good Morning America, saying she seduced him when she was 18. “She wanted me to be her first so that she will be good for her boyfriend,”
He also said he wasn’t worried she would report her claims to the authorities; however, a representative for Baio told TMZ the actor welcomes the formal allegations and said, “We’ve been demanding since last year that Nicole Eggert bring her story to the authorities. It’s good that she finally has, even if it’s part of a publicity campaign. Perhaps she can explain to them her ever-changing story.”
Eggert is also claiming the abuse she suffered caused her to contemplate suicide, and she says Baio has been harassing her by phone, “He’s harassing me by phone, he’s called me at least 10 or 11 times,” she told The Talk. “He’s not saying anything, he’s staying completely silent. I’m now obviously not answering them (calls) because I’m not sure what the motive is behind that…”
Because reported abuse took place approximately 30 years ago, it’s not clear if a statute of limitations will prevent prosecution.
Eggert’s lawyer, Lisa Bloom, tweeted:
We will fully cooperate with the LAPD investigation. Many have reached out to Nicole and me to say that they witnessed inappropriate behavior from Scott Baio when Nicole was underage. If anyone else has information about this matter please contact us.https://t.co/t3xwm4g1AK
— Lisa Bloom (@LisaBloom) February 7, 2018