Trump resorted to using cue cards to help him show empathy to school shooting survivors visiting the White House.
Marie Claire reported that “apparently, Donald Trump needed a chat sheet to comfort shooting survivors” who met with him at the White House.
When you have to make a list of ways to sound like a compassionate real-life human being, you know you have issues. Unsurprisingly, that’s exactly what Donald Trump did for a listening session with the victims and parents of gun violence in schools on Wednesday afternoon.
The meeting came days after the death of 17 people at Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, Florida following a shooting.
The Guardian elaborated, reporting that:
Close-up pictures of the note revealed that it had five points, of which the first was a reminder to ask the question: “What would you most want me to know about your experience”. The second question listed is “What can we do to make you feel safe?”
The president’s note also prompted Trump to ask survivors for their ideas, or what resources they think might be needed.
But it is the final note – “I hear you” – that has attracted the most criticism; the implication of that final point was that, without a prompt, the president would be unable to show sympathy towards those affected by school shootings, some of whom had traveled from Florida for the occasion.
The Daily Mail reported that Trump put forth the idea to arm teachers at the meeting as well:
At the same event, the President put forward a proposal to arm up to a fifth of teachers.
After listening from a circle of participants, Trump floated his own idea, calling for arming teachers and coaches, and even bringing in Marines.
‘Lets say you had 20 percent of your teaching force, because that’s pretty much the number’ Trump said, describing how it might work.
You can see the notes, below:
President Donald Trump holds notes during a White House listening session with students and parents affected by school shootings. (AP Photo by Carolyn Kaster) pic.twitter.com/Z0lZbSVaoF
— AP Politics (@AP_Politics) February 21, 2018
— Marie Claire (@marieclaire) February 22, 2018
Twitter was swift to respond.
— Janey Godley (@JaneyGodley) February 21, 2018
Do you think Donald Trump exhibit psychopath behavior with his need for cue cards.
The lines are very similar to those used by EVERY escort on their clients
Psychopath are their nature. They will never love or care about you except your $$$, so you better demand everything pic.twitter.com/ak5RrnAflk
— The CEO (@ReviewingEscort) February 22, 2018
A few other noteworthy responses included:
- So Trump needs to have cue cards to remind him to listen to people’s grief after their kids are killed at school?
- They aren’t even his own thoughts. It’s obviously not his handwriting. Someone in the WH had to write the notes for him.
- Also it’s sad someone else wrote it for him.
- He needs flash cards because sociopaths need reminders on how to approximate human emotion. Look at those embroidered *45* vanity cuffs. Speaks volumes. This man does not represent Americans.
- President Obama met personally and individually with each family member after Sandy Hook and spook to them about their child and comforted each of them and did not have to carry notes about how to be compassionate and listen.