Twitter responds to the latest outrage perpetrated by Trump – this time trying to use the Parkland shooting to weasel his way out of the Russia investigation.
As one might have anticipated, Trump managed to turn the tragic Parkland shooting in which 17 people were killed and 14 others wounded.
“Very sad that the FBI missed all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter. This is not acceptable. They are spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign – there is no collusion. Get back to the basics and make us all proud!” he tweeted.
Very sad that the FBI missed all of the many signals sent out by the Florida school shooter. This is not acceptable. They are spending too much time trying to prove Russian collusion with the Trump campaign – there is no collusion. Get back to the basics and make us all proud!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) February 18, 2018
Democratic Rep. Ruben Gallego of Arizona was one of the first to respond.
“You are such a psychopath that you have to make even the death of 17 children about you,” he tweeted.
“America will regret the day you were ever born.”
You are such a psychopath that you have to make even the death of 17 children about you. America will regret the day you were ever born. https://t.co/5jyhVXRSRn
— Ruben Gallego (@RubenGallego) February 18, 2018
Others quickly followed, such a Renato Mariotti, the Democratic candidate for Illinois Attorney General.
As Mariotti noted, Trump’s tweet is in keeping with his ongoing efforts to obstruct the Russia investigation. “Mueller will be interested in this tweet, because Trump explicitly states that he doesn’t want the FBI investigating collusion with Russia. This could be used as evidence of his intent when he fired Comey,” he tweeted.
Mueller will be interested in this tweet, because Trump explicitly states that he doesn’t want the FBI investigating collusion with Russia. This could be used as evidence of his intent when he fired Comey. https://t.co/Lz5aKeEA93
— Renato Mariotti (@renato_mariotti) February 18, 2018
With his legal background, there is every reason to believe his assessment of Trump’s tweet.
As his official campaign website reports, “Renato spent almost ten years as a federal prosecutor investigating and prosecuting hundreds of cases in a wide variety of areas.”
As part of the Department of Justice’s Securities and Commodities Fraud Section, Renato handled the first-ever indictment and prosecution of a high-frequency trader under the anti-spoofing provision of the Dodd-Frank Act, a major case that signaled a sea change in the government’s ability to enforce securities regulations in the era of computer-aided trading. He also secured the convictions of Bogdanov crime family, Block 37 developer Larry Freed, and convicted bank robber Jose Banks…. Due to the high-profile nature of many of his cases, Renato was twice featured on American Greed, Bill Kurtis’s show about white-collar criminals.
Other noteworthy tweets included:
- “Did Putin dictate this tweet for you to send? FBI made a mistake, but you and the GOP deliberately made it easier for people with mental health issues to get guns, and Governor Scott deliberately made it easier for teenagers to get assault rifles at 18.”
- “It isn’t the FBI you need to be worried about. It is your cronies who have started making deals with Special Counsel Mueller.”
- “How many people do you think works for the FBI. You realize we have 50 states right? Thousands of tips/day How about those Russian sanctions? Clear order from Washington that you choose to ignore? President Hillary Clinton warned us! #Collusion #TrumpRussia #MAGA #SundayMorning”
- “Now who’s politicizing Childrens deaths? Children who have BEGGED you to do SOMETHING about guns. Willing to ban an entire religion from entering this country to prevent terrorist attacks but not willing to pass legislation that will make children safer from other Americans. Sad”
- “Stop taking money from the NRA . You are unbelieveable. Protect our children.”
- “The FBI uncovered Russia’s attack on American Democracy. You are still walking around with a mirror, throwing rocks at Dems, FBI, Gen McMaster, CH, Obama. Not one at Putin! WHY?”