DeVos tells “60 Minutes” that she’s “misunderstood,” but Twitter disagrees and strikes back after she gives one of the most agonizing and cringe-worthy interviews ever.
Trump’s Education Secretary, Betsy DeVos, seemed unable to answer even the most basic questions during an interview with CBS News host Lesley Stahl.
Market Watch reported that:
In a wide-ranging interview with “60 Minutes” on Sunday, Devos who requires protection by the U.S. Marshals Service, and who was booed at a commencement speech last year, said she’s “more misunderstood than anything.”
Other news organizations were quick to respond with article titles that pretty much tell you everything you need to know about the interview:
- “Betsy DeVos goes on ’60 Minutes,’ displays her ignorance” – Salon
- “DeVos struggles to answer basic questions about schools in her home state” – CNN
- “Betsy DeVos’ 60 Minutes Interview Was a Trainwreck” – Splinter
The Washington Post provided a list of “just some of the things that DeVos said — or couldn’t answer — during the interview.”
- She couldn’t say whether the number of false accusations of sexual assault on school campuses is lower than the number of actual rapes or assaults.
- Arming teachers “should be an option” for states and communities, she said, even though she couldn’t “ever imagine” her first-grade teacher, Mrs. Zorhoff, having had a gun.
- “We have invested billions and billions and billions of dollars from the federal level, and we have seen zero results,” DeVos said — a statement Stahl challenged.
- “I hesitate to talk about all schools in general because schools are made up of individual students attending them.”
- In reference to the #MeToo movement, she said she experienced moments decades ago that “today would just be viewed as unacceptable.”
Axios posted what can only be described as one of the most agonizing and cringe-worthy 107 seconds in the history of television history.
Sec. of Education Betsy DeVos struggles to answer fairly basic questions on school performance on 60 Minutes pic.twitter.com/lFVq3USwUW
— Axios (@axios) March 12, 2018
CBS News was kind enough to provide a partial transcript of the interview, including that particular exchange:
- Lesley Stahl: Now, has that happened in Michigan? We’re in Michigan. This is your home state.
- Betsy DeVos: Michi–Yes, well, there’s lots of great options and choices for students here.
- Lesley Stahl: Have the public schools in Michigan gotten better?
- Betsy DeVos: I don’t know. Overall, I– I can’t say overall that they have all gotten better.
- Lesley Stahl: The whole state is not doing well.
- Betsy DeVos: Well, there are certainly lots of pockets where this– the students are doing well and–
- Lesley Stahl: No, but your argument that if you take funds away that the schools will get better, is not working in Michigan where you had a huge impact and influence over the direction of the school system here.
- Betsy DeVos: I hesitate to talk about all schools in general because schools are made up of individual students attending them.
- Lesley Stahl: The public schools here are doing worse than they did.
- Betsy DeVos: Michigan schools need to do better. There is no doubt about it.
- Lesley Stahl: Have you seen the really bad schools? Maybe try to figure out what they’re doing?
- Betsy DeVos: I have not– I have not– I have not intentionally visited schools that are underperforming.
- Lesley Stahl: Maybe you should.
- Betsy DeVos: Maybe I should. Yes.
As one might expect, Twitter was quick to respond to that horrific interview. A few examples included:
Of all the idiots and sycophants surrounding Trump, Betsy DeVos might be the most clinically unqualified & willfully ignorant. I don't think I've ever seen anyone in government know so little or care so less.
— Rogue WH Snr Advisor (@RogueSNRadvisor) March 12, 2018
betsy devos’s phone before that 60 minutes interview pic.twitter.com/qPSuYfjjEV
— Bob Vulfov (@bobvulfov) March 12, 2018
I thought that Betsy DeVos interview was an episode of Drunk History but turns out she’s the Secretary of Education
— Clint Smith (@ClintSmithIII) March 12, 2018
— Marie Connor (@thistallawkgirl) March 11, 2018
Personally I think Betsy DeVos' appearance on 60 Minutes tonight did more damage to Trump than a Stormy Daniels interview could ever do. He put an actual imbecile in the most important job in his cabinet. That's not just screwing a porn star, thats screwing all of our children.
— Jeremy Newberger (@jeremynewberger) March 12, 2018
Betsy DeVos greeting school administrators. pic.twitter.com/KMStjrF74u
— (((OhNoSheTwitnt))) (@OhNoSheTwitnt) March 12, 2018
MAGA people are rushing to defend Betsy DeVos, who was ambushed by unfair gotcha questions like “Have you ever been in a cafeteria” and “What do you think schools do”
— Patrick Monahan (@pattymo) March 12, 2018
Lesley Stahl totally exposed Betsy DeVos incompetence and lies, and made DeVos look like a blithering idiot.
— PassMeAPickle (@CeeLeeMusic) March 11, 2018