Trump appears to be losing it – at last on Twitter – as Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation appears to be closing in on Paul Manafort – and by extension, Trump himself!
In a stunning revelation, The New York Times reported Monday evening that Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s office has filed documents with the federal court accusing former Trump campaign manager and longtime associate Paul Manafort of witness tampering.
According to The New York Times, those court documents said that “Mr. Manafort tried to contact witnesses by phone and through an encrypted messaging program.”
Prosecutors said that was a violation of Mr. Manafort’s release while he awaits trial. They asked a federal judge to revise the terms of his release or revoke it entirely, which would send him to jail until trial.
An F.B.I. agent, Brock W. Domin, wrote in court documents that at least one witness reported Mr. Manafort’s contact and said that he appeared to be trying to coach their story about Mr. Manafort’s lobbying practices.
Former criminal investigator and criminal defense attorney, Seth Abramson, weighed in on the situation Tuesday morning, predicting a disastrous response from Trump to the escalating situation.
Sounds like a bail revocation—and new indictment—are coming for Manafort. A defendant sitting in jail pre-trial is far more likely to flip on a Big Fish than one lounging in his living room. This could be a big deal, especially if this case—and/or the new one—drags on for months. What this is likely to do is hasten Trump making his first—and perhaps last—Big Unforced Error: pardoning Manafort on the theory that he can’t risk Manafort sitting in jail pre-trial and thereby getting cold feet about “staying strong” for Trump (i.e., keeping his mouth shut). Don’t forget that, per Howard Fineman of NBC, Donald Trump has told friends that Manafort can seriously hurt him if he flips. So the Manafort Pardon Watch will begin the moment Manafort’s bail is revoked, if not well before then—i.e., *right now*. This is a *huge* development.
Trump’s Twitter activity since the news about Manafort broke appears to indicate that there is every reason to believe that Abramson is correct.
Bustle reported that: “Even if you’re not big into social media, you probably know that President Donald Trump spends a lot of time on Twitter.”
Twitter was one of the preferred ways Trump communicated with the public as a candidate, and that hasn’t changed since he entered the White House last year… Trump has started, stopped, and distracted from entire news cycles on the basis of his tweets, and it’s almost impossible to rank them on the basis of newsworthiness. Simply put, there’s never been an American president who’s pumped out so many of his unfiltered thoughts into the public discourse as Trump has, and the method he uses to do so is his Twitter app.
Thanks to the Trump Twitter Archive we know that as of the time of publication of this article, Trump has tweeted 3540 times, or roughly 7 times per day.
However, in the wake of the news about Paul Manafort, Trump – clearly unhinged and panic-stricken – tweeted 31 times. He posted 25 tweets on Tuesday beginning at 5:38 a.m. and ending at 11:02 p.m. Eastern Standard Time (that figure includes retweets). Wednesday morning he started tweeting more consistent with his usual pattern, beginning shortly after 9 a.m. with 7 tweets so far for the day.
There were some random tweets about his looming trade war, Melania’s apparent disappearance, etc. but a few highlights of his tweets regarding his legal woes and Special Counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation are detailed below in reverse chronological order.
Three of his tweets so far today mention Fake News:
- Jun 6, 2018 10:04:29 AM Many more Republican voters showed up yesterday than the Fake News thought possible. The political pundits just don’t get what is going on out there – or they do get it but refuse to report the facts! Remember, Dems are High Tax, High Crime, easy to beat! link
- Jun 6, 2018 09:54:17 AM …Four reporters spotted Melania in the White House last week walking merrily along to a meeting. They never reported the sighting because it would hurt the sick narrative that she was living in a different part of the world, was really ill, or whatever. Fake News is really bad! link
- Jun 6, 2018 09:48:20 AM The Fake News Media has been so unfair, and vicious, to my wife and our great First Lady, Melania. During her recovery from surgery they reported everything from near death, to facelift, to left the W.H. (and me) for N.Y. or Virginia, to abuse. All Fake, she is doing really well! link
Tuesday, Trump had a field day tweeting all over the map, mentioning “Witch Hunt” and “SPYGATE” two times each, and tossing around a lot of power words and phrases such as his tweeting stating that the current investigation (Witch Hunt) constitutes “a grave abuse of power and authority” that “makes the Nixon Watergate burglary look like keystone cop stuff,” and so forth and so on…
- Jun 5, 2018 09:33:37 PM ….The greatest Witch Hunt in political history! [Twitter for iPhone] link
- Jun 5, 2018 09:27:03 PM …This is a level of criminality beyond the pale. This is such a grave abuse of power and authority, it’s like nothing else we’ve seen in our history. This makes the Nixon Watergate burglary look like keystone cop stuff [Twitter for iPhone] link
- Jun 5, 2018 09:23:44 PM Chris Farrell, Judicial Watch. “They were running an operation to undermine a candidate for President of the U.S. These are all violations of law. This is intelligence tradecraft to steer an election. There’s nothing more grave when it comes to abuse of our intelligence system… [Twitter for iPhone] link
- Jun 5, 2018 09:02:36 PM Great interview by @LouDobbs with Chris Farrell of Judicial Watch concerning the governments counter-intelligence operation into the Trump Campaign. SPYGATE at the highest level. Who would believe? [Twitter for iPhone] link
- Jun 5, 2018 08:37:50 PM Wow, Strzok-Page, the incompetent & corrupt FBI lovers, have texts referring to a counter-intelligence operation into the Trump Campaign dating way back to December, 2015. SPYGATE is in full force! Is the Mainstream Media interested yet? Big stuff! [Twitter for iPhone] link
- Jun 5, 2018 07:31:47 AM The Russian Witch Hunt Hoax continues, all because Jeff Sessions didn’t tell me he was going to recuse himself…I would have quickly picked someone else. So much time and money wasted, so many lives ruined…and Sessions knew better than most that there was No Collusion! [Twitter for iPhone] link
- Jun 5, 2018 06:38:51 AM What is taking so long with the Inspector General’s Report on Crooked Hillary and Slippery James Comey. Numerous delays. Hope Report is not being changed and made weaker! There are so many horrible things to tell, the public has the right to know. Transparency! link