The suspected gunman in an attack on the Dallas Police Department headquarters early Saturday morning has been shot by a police sniper and is presumed to be dead.
The attack on the headquarters started about about 12:30 a.m. CT (1:30 a.m. ET) when automatic weapons were fired at the station. Police initially believed there were as many as four gunmen, but now believe there was just one shooter, firing from multiple locations.
Police Chief David Brown told reporters that SWAT snipers struck the suspect through the windshield of his van.
According to NBC News,”police returned fire and the suspect got into what witnesses say was an armored van, which rammed a patrol car and then raced off.” Police Chief David Brown told reporters that officers chased the van to the parking lot of a Jack in the Box where a sniper shot the vehicle’s engine block twice with a .50 caliber rifle and shot the suspect with a third bullet fired through the windshield.
Because officers found bags with explosives that had been “spread out all over police headquarters,” police were not approaching the van.
Brown added that:
“The suspect, during negotiations, expressed that the van he was traveling in was rigged with explosives. Our officers are not approaching that vehicle, but instead, our bomb technicians are deploying the robot and plan to detonate specific areas around the van to ensure that it’s not rigged to explode.”
Additionally, officers were investigating four suspicious bags that had been placed around police headquarters and one bag, thought to have contained pipe bombs, exploded when a specialized robot tried to move it.
“We believe this suspect meant to kill officers,” Brown told reporters, adding that the local office of the FBI and other agencies were assisting in the investigation.
Brown told reporters that the suspect, who identified himself as James Boulware to police, blamed police for losing custody of his son and “accusing him of being a terrorist.”
- 0430 Robot picked up bag at Jack Evans with pipe bombs and it detonated
- 0435 Engine block of suspect vehicle has been shot with .50 cal
- 0438 Suspicious briefcase in dumpster at NE Substation
- 0447 FBI bomb squad en route to NE Substation
- 0507 PD Sniper shot at suspect through front windshield of van. Suspect may be hit. Sending in robot to confirm.
- 0540 planned detonation occurred at DPD headquarters
- 0609 FBI updates that they will relieve DPD as necessary at scene. Also, DPD coordinating with Mesquite Bomb squad at suspects last known residence.
- 0620 All packages at Jack Evans PD HQ cleared (5)
- 0720 WFAA receiving disguised voice calls from an individual claiming to have a bomb
- 0730 North East patrol cleared
- 0810 Bomb robot investigating suspect’s vehicle