All hell breaks loose as angry conservatives take to Paul Ryan’s Facebook page to air their grievances regarding Trumpcare.
Trumpcare, the Republican replacement plan for Obamacare, has been unraveling – right from the start.
Last week, conservative radio host and frequent Fox News guest Dana Loesch called the bill “a swamp monster,” “an insult to the American people,” and “a giant middle finger to America.”
Dan Rather, the legendary former anchor of “CBS Evening News,” published a harsh reality check to conservatives who support the bill, predicting that the full scope of their blunder will become abundantly clear once their health insurance is cancelled.
“I know that for many facts are fungible. But being told you can’t get your illness treated is a fact that tends to sink in pretty fast,” he concluded.
Republican Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) is on the receiving end of much of the growing hostility within the Republican Party and the conservative movement itself.
Fox News host Tucker Carlson blasted Ryan last week for the GOP’s failure to come up with a cohesive bill.
“It’s been seven years to the month since Obamacare passed, and I guess the obvious question is why in all that time couldn’t Republicans formulate a plan most of them could agree on before going public with it?” Carlson said, adding “It looks like chaos, why is that?”
Earlier this week conservative website Breitbart released an explosive audio recording from last October of Ryan saying that he was abandoning Trump – that he was “not going to defend Donald Trump – not now, not in the future,” and as CNN reports,”The timing of Breitbart’s publication is telling. In recent days, the pro-Trump site has run one negative story after another about the House GOP’s health care bill, despite the president’s endorsement of the legislation.”
As it turns out, working class American conservatives are annoyed with Ryan too and are going to his Facebook page by the hundreds to express their displeasure with the Republican Speaker.
Take for instance this status update he posted on Monday, the very same day the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office released its estimates of the cost and coverage of Trumpcare. (The bottom line according to CNN is that “in total, an estimated 52 million people would be uninsured by 2026 under the GOP plan, compared to 28 million who would lack insurance under the current law.”)
Here is a sampling of some of the feedback Ryan received from angry conservatives on that post – over 1300 comments so far and counting. (And bear in mind he has other posts defending the plan that are receiving similar remarks.)
- “Nope. Not buying into this sham of a “plan” you are promoting as a repeal and replace. What a let-down. Shame on you all for this feeble attempt. You’ve all had 7 years to come up with something realistic, workable and acceptable. You just blew it. BLEW IT!!!!!”
- “This is not what we were promised when everyone was trying to get elected..now you need to follow through. ….full repeal. Rand paul has a great solution. I am the middle class….and we r not going to stand for this…you people not listening got you Trump….there will be some very angry voters if this is what you give us”
- “This plan is not good enough and not what was promised to Conservatives. Once this fails in the Senate, please vote on Rand Paul’s repeal and replace plan. That’s the only plan (other than what was proposed through the House Freedom Caucus) that’s a truly market centered approach and tackles the rising costs of health insurance. Step up to the Democrats and kill every word of Obamacare once and for all. #FullRepeal”
- “Stop pussyfooting around and repeal Obamacare already! I’m sick of this crap. Do what was promised in every Republican political campaign for the last two election seasons. It is not the federal government’s job to provide healthcare insurance to everyone. Get outta the way!”
- “You keep selling this but not listening to conservative voices asking you to honor your promise to voters. You’re trying to ram this thru before the full catastrophe of Obamacare is felt and evidenced, yet your plan will exacerbate the very problems of Obamacare while attaching your name to the mess. Wake up, or be voted out of Washington and forced to get a real job.”
You must be logged in to post a comment Login