Romney’s Top 10 Lies of the Week – Week 26
1. The first one on our list is an “oldie but goodie” Romney has used before, most recently last week.
“I was with a woman in Las Vegas, she has a business. She rents furniture to casinos and to conventioneers that come to Las Vegas… When the president said not to bother coming to Las Vegas to go to a company meeting, her business collapsed.”
As we reported last week Obama was actually speaking in reference to reckless indifference on Wall Street warning them:
“You are not going to be able to give out these big bonuses until you pay taxpayers back. You can’t get corporate jets. You can’t go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayers’ dime. There’s got to be some accountability and some responsibility.”
2. Romney said “we are still waiting” for President Obama “to present an immigration plan” after the Supreme Court decision on Arizona’s immigration law.
In actuality Obama has pushed for the DREAM Act for years, and would have signed it into law in 2010 were it not for a Republican filibuster, however he used his prosecutorial discretion to implement the goals of the DREAM Act. He increased deportations and strengthened border security.
3. Romney once again accused Obama of “raising taxes on small businesses.”
In reality, Obama has signed 18 tax-cuts for small businesses.
4. Romney said that Obama “says no to developing our oil resources.”
In reality oil production is up under Obama.
5. Romney stated ”Guess how many [trade] agreements this president has negotiated? Zero. No new agreements to open up markets for American goods.”
Actually, Obama signed trade agreements with Colombia, Panama and South Korea.
6. Romney said under the Affordable Care Act, “government bureaucrats get between us and our doctors.”
In reality, this is completely false.
7. Romney stated “I will get us to on track to a balanced budget.”
Independent budget analysts have found his agenda would make the deficit bigger, not smaller and would add trillions to the national debt.
8. Romney stated that Obama “has put together almost as much public debt as all the prior president’s combined.”
That’s false – not really a lot to say about something that stupid.
9. Romney also stated that Obama’s “cap-and-trade proposal … scared away jobs.”
Cap-and-trade actually did not pass, so it is impossible for it to have affected the job market in any way. Additionally, cap-and-trade was originally a Republican idea.
10. In response to the Supreme Court’s ruling on the Affordable Care Act, Romney stated ”Obamacare adds trillions to our deficits and to our national debt.”
The health care law, according the non-partisan Congressional Budget Office and every independent analysis, cuts the deficit by hundreds of billions of dollars in the coming decade.