Here are five reasons why we should impeach Chief Justice John Roberts.
As President Barack Obama finishes up his last year in office, talk of impeachment, imposition of Sharia Law and declaration of martial law abound.
A couple of years ago, William Greider of The Nation published an illuminating article suggesting that there is a “far more deserving candidate for impeachment—Chief Justice John Roberts of the Supreme Court.”
Consider Grieder’s position for a moment. He begins his article by pointing out that, while the Republicans in Congress have been doing everything they can to block any meaningful legislation, the five conservative Supreme Court justices have been doing their very best to legislate from the bench, “following an agenda neatly aligned with their conservative party.”
Greider continues, writing that “Step by step, the five right-wing justices are transforming the terms of the American political system—including the Constitution.”
“This power grab by the unelected—and supposedly non-partisan—justices has already produced a historic rewrite of America democracy,” Greider continues.
“But it was done by blatantly usurping the decision-making authority that belongs to the elected government in Congress and the executive branch. The Republican justices are not finished with their undeclared revolution. They will continue unless and until people rise up and stop them.”
Below are a few key points Greider raises regarding reasons to consider the impeachment of Chief Justice Roberts:
1. John Robert’s reign as Chief Justice has “empowered ‘dark money’ in politics and produced the $4 billion buy-election of 2014.”
2. His court has “assigned spiritual values to soulless corporations, who thus gained First Amendment protection of free speech and religion.”
3. His efforts have “effectively gutted the Voting Rights Act of 1965, even as they allowed state governments to create new obstacles for minority voting.”
4. Under his tenure, “the High Court made it okay to take guns to church and more difficult to keep guns from dangerous people.”
5. Roberts’ Supreme Court has “rendered a series of decisions that collectively shifted political power from the many to the few.”
And in all fairness, we should point out that the Greider Court has upheld President Obama’s signature legislation – The Affordable Care Act – twice, most recently in June of 2015.
As The Guardian wrote at the time, “The decision in the high-stakes case of King v Burwell all but guarantees that the law, more commonly known as Obamacare, will survive intact until at least the 2016 election, giving its supporters hope that the reforms will become impossible to reverse – even if a Republican is elected to the White House.”
“Six of the nine justices, including Chief Justice John Roberts, sided with the government,” in upholding Obamacare.
Click here for the full article by Grieder for The Nation.