1. Speaking before the National Association of Latino Elected and Appointed Officials on Thursday, June 21, 2012, Romney stated:
Unfortunately, despite his promises, President Obama has failed to address immigration reform.”
Actually, just last week President Obama announced that the Department of Homeland Security was halting deportations for up to 800,000 illegal immigrants who entered the country as children. Obama has taken a proactive approach all along taking other executive action where the law allows while actively pushing Congress to pursue comprehensive reform based on a bipartisan plan her presented last year.
2. Romney shared an anecdote at an event held in Pennsylvania this week about a local optometrist who was force to fill out a “33-page” change of address form at the post office.
Great, except there is no such thing.
3. At another campaign stop in Pennsylvania Romney said:
I was in Las Vegas and met a woman who was worried. She has a business renting furniture to casinos and to conventioners that come to Las Vegas. And when the president said, don’t bother coming to Las Vegas for your company meetings a few years ago, her business dove.”
Obama was actually speaking in reference to reckless indifference on Wall Street warning them:
You are not going to be able to give out these big bonuses until you pay taxpayers back. You can’t get corporate jets. You can’t go take a trip to Las Vegas or go down to the Super Bowl on the taxpayers’ dime. There’s got to be some accountability and some responsibility.”
4. Speaking on Face the Nation about Obama’s new immigration policy, Romney stated:
If he really wanted to make a solution that dealt with these kids or with the illegal immigration in America, then this is something he would have taken up in his first three and a half years, not in his last few months.”
In actuality Obama has pushed for the DREAM Act for years, and would have signed it into law in 2010 were it not for a Republican filibuster.
5. Appearing via video at the “Faith and Freedom Coalition” annual event, Romney stated:
When you put in place a bill like Obamacare, you attack the freedom of people to make a choice about their own insurance and what kind of coverage they want to have.”
Actually, under the Affordable Care Act as part of a health care exchange, consumers would choose from competing plans.
6. Romney claimed that it’s fiscally responsible to eliminate the Affordable Care Act in its entirety in an interview with Sean Hannity of Fox News:
It saves $100 billion a year to get rid of it.”
Actually, according to the Congressional Budget Office and other nonpartisan budget estimates, killing the law would make the deficit go up and would cost, not save, the country hundreds of billions of dollars.
7. In the very same interview, Romney said:
I see people holding up signs, ‘Don’t touch my Medicare.’ It’s like, hey, I’m not touching your Medicare.”
Actually, Romney has fully endorsed the Paul Ryan Budget Plan which ends Medicare, replacing it with a private voucher system.
8. Speaking on foreign policy, Romney noted that Syria is Iran’s “route to the sea.”
Actually, this is flawed for 2 reasons: first Syria does not share a border with Iran and second Iran already borders the Caspian Sea, the Arabian Sea and the Persian Gulf.
9. In New Hampshire, Romney stated that:
Bill Clinton and so many other mainstream Democrats are revolting against the backward direction President Obama is taking his party and our country.”
Actually, Bill Clinton is an active supporter of the president’s re-election noting that a Romney presidency would be “calamitous for our country and the world.”
10. At a campaign stop in Weatherly, Pennsylvania, Romney said
I will continue to describe the plan that I would provide, which is, number one, to make sure that people don’t have to worry about losing their insurance if they have a preexisting condition, and change jobs.”
Actually, under Romney’s proposed alternative, millions of people with pre-existing conditions would be denied coverage.