Planned Parenthood (PP) is a favorite target for anti-choice activists. Their latest smear campaign against PP involves a series of undercover videos showing executives discussing the transactions regarding fetal tissue.
Comedienne Sarah Silverman defended the use fetal tissue as well as reinforcing the fact that abortion is legal.
Abortion is still legal in the great U.S of A. It would be insane not to use fetal tissue 4 science & education in such cases. #StandwithPP
— Sarah Silverman (@SarahKSilverman) July 28, 2015
On July 17, CNN posted an in-depth article titled: How exactly fetal tissue is used for medicine
Here’s an excerpt:
“Many of our other common vaccines, such as chicken pox, rubella and shingles, have been produced in tissue derived from fetuses, particularly two electively terminated pregnancies from the 1960s. Advances in how researchers work with cells have allowed them to grow fetal cells indefinitely in Petri dishes, thus not requiring samples from any newly aborted fetuses.”
Here’s some handy Planned Parenthood facts and statistics:
- In 2013 and 2014, Planned Parenthood facilities performed 378,692 pap screenings for cervical cancer.
- During that same time period, it performed 487,029 breast exams.
- Planned Parenthood successfully detected 87,988 cases of early breast cancer.
- 516,000 pregnancies, many potentially ending in abortion, were prevented by Planned Parenthood’s contraceptive services.
- 704,079 tests for HIV/AIDS were performed on both women and men.
- 3,727,359 sexually transmitted infection tests were provided for both women and men.
- 169,008 patients were diagnosed with sexually transmitting infections.